What are Bridges?
A bridge is used to replace a missing tooth or teeth whereby it fixes a replacement tooth (or teeth) to one or more remaining natural teeth or implants. Some bridges have crowns at each end, others are only fixed at one end. Some are fixed to the surface of the teeth next to the gap known as “minimal preparation bridge” or “sticky bridge”. This is where the false tooth is held in place with a wing that is bonded onto adjacent teeth. This involves less destruction of tooth tissue but can require repair or replacement.
What will my dentist do?
There are several stages in making a bridge:
- The dentist uses a soft, mouldable material to take impressions of your mouth. A dental technician makes exact plaster models of your upper and lower teeth and gums, which show how your teeth bite together.
- The teeth that will support the bridge are prepared to take the filings and to make sure that the bridge is not too bulky.
- Another impression is taken of the teeth and any gaps, and the dental technician uses this to make the bridge. A plastic temporary bridge or temporary crown may be fitted in the meantime.
What are the benefits?
- A bridge lets you almost forget you have a missing tooth
- It can improve the way you look, bite, chew and speak
- The teeth can be matched to the colour of your own teeth
- A bridge can last many years if you keep it and the adjacent soft tissue clean and if there is no accidental damage
- Natural teeth are protected from wear and tear, and from moving or tilting out of line which could cause your teeth to bite together incorrectly.
Don’t take our word for it …
This lady was very embarrassed by her smile as some teeth were missing at the top and the lower ones were broken. She avoided smiling and laughing but finally plucked up the courage to do something about it.
We did metal-free crown and bridgework over two appointments and the patient is utterly delighted with her new smile.
“Firstly I’d like to say how amazing all the staff are. They put me at ease from my first visit and I knew from the first consultation I’d found a dentist I was finally happy with. All people say this but I really do feel silly about how long I put it off with nerves!
I had always been conscious about my teeth and smile so to find Apollonia and the team I was for once excited about getting the smile id always wanted. And…I love to smile and have my photo taken although I admit I do need to keep my appointments up to mainstream my dream smile. If you want that photo perfect smile then do it! I highly recommend them!
Everyone at Apollonia was so nice and calm it puts you right at ease. So it’s a big thank you to all the staff and to Melissa Goddard.”
“I’d been going to Melissa for yeas and just allowed her to patch up my old bridge which was always breaking and chipping. She kept advising me to have a new bridge and I finally relented and let her get on with it and it only took two visits. I am so glad I did. I’d never really bothered about my smile before but once I got my new bridgework I got loads of compliments about my smile. Melissa did such a great job that she told me that my case had been shortlisted for a smile makeover award! I just wish I’d done it a lot sooner.”
Get a free consultation today!
What do you have to lose? Drop us your information in the contact form below and we will get back to you with a FREE consultation! Alternatively you can give the centre a ring on 0151 709 9146.